dualbanner Header Ad

Woman Airlifted After Dog Attack

Emergency officials stand by as Air Evac prepares to life flight a woman who was attacked by a dog Saturday afternoon in Alcorn County near the Tippah County line. (Photo by Josh Mitchell/Corinth Today)

By Josh Mitchell

Corinth Today News Editor

A woman was airlifted after a dog attacked her Saturday afternoon in Alcorn County, according to a sheriff’s deputy.

The woman was attacked by the dog at a residence on County Road 746, said Alcorn County Sheriff’s Deputy Shane Latch.

It appears the dog may have been a pitbull and belonged to the woman and her family.

The incident happened at around 3:30 p.m. in the Chalybeate area near the Tippah County line off Highway 72 West.

The dog was still alive and would have to be detained for 14 days, Latch said.

It was unclear which hospital the woman was airlifted to, but it may have been Regional One Health in Memphis.

17 Responses so far.

1. don hastin says:

i would kill the dog

2. Ed Marth says:

In the US a pit bull kills a person every 17 days. Pitties are weapons that can pull their own trigger. She got what she deserved owning a land-shark.

• Beveely says:

SHAME ON YOU .. NO ONE DESERVES TO BE HURT

• Brittany says:

Okay “ed” you have no right saying she got what she deserved! She didn’t ask for that to happen to her. Pitbulls are very loving dogs and they will protect their family yes the dog may have attacked its owner but something triggered him to make him do that. If you don’t have anything good to say then don’t comment this family is going through a hard enough time they don’t need your bull crap to go along with it! Thank you and have a nice day ✌🏽

• Tammera says:

I have 4 pit bulls currently, and have owned close to 30 in my life and have had 3 chihuahuas and the chihuahuas have been more aggressive than any of my pits have ever been. Pits are only agressive as the owners allow them to be. My now 9 year old and almost 3 year old and several other children have climbed on them took food away and everything since they were tiny and the worst thing they have ever done is lick them like crazy. I believe any dog can become aggressive if they aren’t raised and treated properly. I have had all my dogs since they were 4-6 weeks old.

• Cheri says:

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read, you need to get an education. All dogs can turn, breed doesn’t matter. It’s how a dog is raised and sometimes there are surrounding circumstances. People like you make me sick. I proudly own and care very lovingly for two pit bulls one of which was a rescue and I could ask for better animals. These are not our pets they are our family! And I know the woman in this story and by no means did she deserve for that to happen to her or her family.

3. Laura says:

Pit bulls doing what they do best! They very often attack their own owners and families. Those that thought they were sweet and loyal and protective. Well guess what? Many of them are not. And you don’t know which ones will attack you for no reason. And put you on a helicopter. And anyone who wants to compare this to a Chihuahua or a Dachshund, go right ahead. But you realize it’s completely ridiculous right? You might need a Band-Aid or a couple stitches, but not a helicopter!

• Tia says:

You’re wrong. The small dogs, chihuahua, peks, cockers, Boston terriers will rip your face off.
      Ever read about kids being bitten, faces being shredded etc by these breeds?
      Again, too much inbreeding and not enough education.
      No single breed is bad.
      Rules, regulations whether it’s in the county or the city.

The.

4. Bethany says:

These dogs are from the Fighting Breed Group. What more explanation does anyone need to know if it’s a safe, calm trusting family pet. Almost daily around the World there’s an attack on a child, adult or pet whether mauled/killed by Pits/Pit mixes. It’s genetic, in their DNA period.Simple choice to make..Save a life DON’T own a Pit!

• Janie says:

That must be a new Group. Snicker. Fighting Breed Group……haha.

• Cheri says:

Its not in their DNA again someone needs education. All dogs are capable of attacking. Pit usually only turn that way due to bad treatment or being taught to fight. Stop judging people your Not GOD!

5. Balmy says:

Pit bull attacks owner! I luv it!
    (Thanks, but I’ll stick with my chihuahua. Yeah, yeah, I know “chihuahuas bite more” say the pit bull Nutters; it’s just that the chi bite requires a band-aide at most… vs a pit bull mauling toe tag.)

6. Mary Ann Redfern says:

A pit bull sent someone on a life flight? No way! Pit bulls….the official life flight/trauma unit/ICU breed and the choice of pet for idiots everywhere.

7. Tia says:

So much in breeding of dogs everywhere. I lived in Corinth 21 yrs. People still don’t believe /want to spend money on spay/neuter, shots, vet, training. Too many unwanted litters of inbred and not good mixes.
    “Pit bull” us a generic term. There are Staffordshire terriers, Bullys, etc. They are all very different breeds. Education, laws and enforcing the laws is key.
    I’ve always said don’t blame the dog, blame the owner.

T

8. Jimmy Golden Doodle says:

I had a pit when I was 12. It bit my calf and left marks. We ended up skinning him and cooking him over a big fire pit. They don’t taste as good as bass.

9. Angela says:

Can you all not read? It isn’t confirmed that it was a pitbull that attacked. I own a pitbull and he is nothing but a huge baby.

10. Mary says:

Some of these responses are from people that don’t know their butt from a hole in the ground. Owned a pit all my life. I still have my old girl Dixie Lynn who I’ve had since I was young. No pits are not bad dogs and the article didn’t say it was a pit it was a possible pit. Get over yourself and stop trashing one of the best breeds in the world. Shame on this article placing the pits name with out proof of breed. Get over your self and grow up. I have two pits and several other dogs my 10lb Pom will eat you up and my pits will lick you to death. If you don’t like the breed that’s your choice but get over your self I’ll take my pits over any breed

About Josh Mitchell

Josh Mitchell is the news editor for Corinth Today. He can be reached at 662-872-9907 or news@corinthtoday.com.